Trying to find and create me

Trying to find and create me

Monday, July 25, 2011

LEARNING TO BE THANKFUL

I have been on a role these past few days wanting to get out all my thoughts and feelings right here for all of you to see.  I guess you could say I have been in need of some self-therapy.  Since I had begun this whole "Blogging" experience this past March,  I found that writing has become such a therapeutic way of expression.  I find that as I start my new entry the words just somehow flow and my fingers just start typing away.  As I look back to a time where the thought of even considering to write anything was so torturous for me.  The closest I got was keeping a diary or journal.  But back then that is what young girls did.  We kept a diary. 

Now, so many years later, here I am doing something I never thought I would do.  How cool is that!!!??  I think a lot has to do with this time in my life.  Questioning things around me for example; situations, conversations, current events, etc.  Maybe by getting older or maybe a little wiser, you realize that there is so much more out there to understand, to learn about or even become passionate about.  Finding a passion for something that brings total joy and love to your heart. I love it!!!

I have been quite intrigued by the writing of Virginia Swift, in particular,entitled The Awakening. I wanted to share with all of you the last few paragraphs which I feel is so poignant for me.

"You learn that negative feelings such as anger, envy, and resentment must be understood and redirected, or they will suffocate the life out of you and poison the universe that surrounds you."

"You learn to admit when you are wrong and to build bridges instead of walls.  You learn to be thankful and to take comfort in many of the simple things we take for granted, things that millions of people upon the earth can only dream about a full refrigerator,clean running water, a soft warm bed, a long hot shower.  Slowly, you begin to take responsibility for yourself, by yourself, and you try to make yourself a promise to never betray yourself and to never ever settle for less than your heart's desire.  And you hang a wind chime outside your window so you can listen to the wind.  And you make it a point to keep smiling, to keep trusting, and to stay open to every wonderful possibility."

"Finally, with courage in your heart and with God by your side, you take a stand, you take a deep breath, and you begin to design the life you want to live as best as you can."

This totally just blew me away.  When I first came across this by Virginia Swift, I was excited to see what it was all about.  Little did I know how impactful it would have been for me.  I was just so happy to find something that described exactly what I was feeling.

I am so very thankful for all I have gone through to get to this point in my life.  Everything happens for a reason.  I truly believe this.  It is so heartwarming to know that there are such wonderful people in my life who love me for who I am, who I was and who I have come to be.  This journey of self-renewal has been a trip like no other. I love being able to inspire others and in return become inspired by them.  This is what life is all about.  Being thankful for all that you have and all that you are.  Being able to love life and love all that you have experienced and have yet to encounter. 

The Awakening for me has given me a new realization of what I had been going through.  There is always a reason why things, people, situations come to us out of the blue.  When we least expect it.  Isn't that even more of a rewarding and cherished reason to be so thankful for the lives we live while here on earth.  Learning to be thankful each and everyday for God's beautiful blessings.

1 comment: