Trying to find and create me

Trying to find and create me

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Childhood Obesity-NOT SIMPLY called BABY FAT!

I wanted to talk about this topic because I have lived it since I was a child.  I was just googling this and found some scary facts that need to be brought to the table.  First of all, it states that "Some experts believe that if obesity among children continues to increase, our current generation of children will become the first in American history to live shorter lives than their parents."  That is just so frightening to hear.  Also, "today, nearly 25 million children are overweight or obese."

I can't tell you how difficult it has been for me over the past 35 plus years being overweight and not feeling good about myself.  You must be wondering what this would have to do with the goal and focus of my blog and why I would want to talk about it.  Honestly, this is quite an important detail of my life and which brings me to where I am today as an adult still struggling with my weight issues.  What a long road I have been on trying to get to that healthy weight that I know is best for me.

It seems that families today are constantly on the move and in a lot of the family units both parents are working to make ends meet.  Because of all the hustle and bustle of today's world it is very easy to do things that are "FAST".  Specifically when needing to feed our children.  The quickest way to do this is with FAST FOOD! One of the leading causes of childhood obesity.  In addition, it is the lack of physical activity and genetics that also plays a big role.  Obesity can cause so many health issues that rear their ugly heads such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep problems and heart disease.  This is bad enough in adults but can you imagine children having to deal with this.

If this isn't a sign for us as parents to make sure we keep an eye on our children to make sure they do not become part of a statistic.  It is so important to do all that we can to give our kids the healthiest diet and surroundings they can possibly have.  This will then be instilled in them and will hopefully be carried out into their adulthood.  

To have to struggle with ones weight, a lot of other issues come into play. For example, low self esteem and teasing by their peers along with lack of acceptance.  They need love, encouragement and emotional support.  It seems no matter what age you are these are vitally important in any aspect of life.

I am an example at age 40 of what it is like to struggle with obesity all my life.  I felt that I needed to share this with all of you reading my blogs.  I know what it has been like for me and would not wish this upon anyone.  I have experienced so much sadness, low self esteem, lack of confidence and acceptance along with depression thinking I would never get to a point in my life where I would ever feel good about myself.   To have to see the sadness in a child's eyes knowing of what they will have to deal with as they get older just breaks my heart.  That is why I stress the importance of taking charge of our children's well being.  Their health mentally, physically and emotionally.  To give all the tools necessary for our children to be the healthiest, happiest and most successful they can be.  Once developed,  these habits will help our children to maintain good health throughout their lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment